Estimated Reading Time: 2 minutes
As per e-vahan portal (Ministry of Road Transport and Highways), India has a total of 13, 34, 385 Electric Vehicles in use.
Following steps have been taken by the Government to promote the use of electric vehicles in India including Maharashtra, Dadar and Nagar Haveli, Daman & Diu and Lakshadweep State/UT :
1) The Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of (Hybrid &) Electric Vehicles in India (FAME India) Scheme in 2015 with an aim to reduce dependency on fossil fuel and to address issues of vehicular emissions. At present, Phase-II of FAME India Scheme is being implemented for a period of 5 years w.e.f. 01stApril, 2019 with a total budgetary support of Rs. 10,000 crores.
2) The Government on 12th May, 2021 approved a Production Linked Incentive (PLI) scheme for manufacturing of Advanced Chemistry Cell (ACC) in the country in order to bring down prices of battery in the country. Drop in battery price will result in cost reduction of electric vehicles.
3) Electric Vehicles are covered under Production Linked Incentive (PLI) scheme for Automobile and Auto Components, which was approved on 15th September 2021 with a budgetary outlay of Rs. 25,938 crore for a period of five years.
4) GST on electric vehicles has been reduced from 12% to 5%; GST on chargers/ charging stations for electric vehicles has been reduced from 18% to 5%.
5) Ministry of Road Transport & Highways (MoRTH) announced that battery-operated vehicles will be given green license plates and be exempted from permit requirements.
6) MoRTH issued a notification advising states to waive road tax on EVs, which in turn will help reduce the initial cost of EVs.
The number of electric vehicles currently being used on the roads of India, State wise as on 14-07-2022
|Sr. No.||State Name||Total Electric Vehicle||Total Non-Electric Vehicle||Total|
|1||Andaman & Nicobar Island||162||1,46,945||1,47,107|
|12||Jammu and Kashmir||2,941||18,69,962||18,72,903|
|29||UT of DNH and DD||183||3,07,671||3,07,854|
1. The details given are for the digitized vehicle records as per centralized Vahan4.
2. The complete data of Andhra Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Telangana, and Lakshadweep is not available in Vahan4 hence they are not included.