The event in ABB’s headquarters town is a fitting reminder of the company’s pioneering role in electric transportation
Championship car racing returns to Switzerland after more than 60 years with the Zurich edition of theZurich edition of the ABB FIA Formula E Championship on June 10. By demonstrating the power, speed and viability of battery-powered automobiles, the ABB FIA Formula E series is proving that electric cars are a cutting-edge 21st-century technology.
The Zurich race has the world’s fastest and most advanced electric racing cars, which will bring electrifying wheel-to-wheel action to the home of ABB’s global headquarters. As the world leader in electric vehicle fast-charging, ABB is propelling the shift towards e-mobility.
Recently the company introduced the world`s fastest charging station, the Terra HP. It can recharge a car`s battery in just eight minutes for a distance of 200 km. ABB is also a global leader in power management and distribution systems that incorporate renewable energy into utility grids – providing the clean electricity that makes electric vehicles the preferred alternative to fossil-fuel transportation.
“ABB and Formula E are two pioneers who are shaping the latest electrification and digital technologies,” said ABB CEO Ulrich Spiesshofer. “ABB is a technology and market leader in electrification, with the largest installed base of fast-charging stations for electric vehicles worldwide; Formula E serves as a competitive platform to develop and test e-mobility-relevant electrification and digitalization technologies. By joining forces, ABB and Formula E are ideally positioned to push the boundaries of e-mobility.”
The race weekend will offer other ABB highlights for the public, including:
- At the E-Village, the ABB booth will present an array of ABB electro-mobility technology, including a high-performance electric car and two of ABB’s most advanced charging stations – the Terra 53 and Terra HP. A hologram will display a complete electric vehicle charging infrastructure.
- An exhibit of ABB’s electric bus solutions will include a video and a demonstration of ABB’s TOSA fast-charging stations for bus stops that can recharge the vehicle’s battery in the time it takes for passengers to board.
- ABB’s YuMi, a dual-arm collaborative robot will be signing autographs.
- A display of SeaBubbles, an example of e-mobility on water. This futuristic, zero-emission new form of water taxi incorporates ABB technology, demonstrates the viability of transportation that does not impact the environment or place any burden on urban infrastructure.
- A miniature electric car race.